Re: Head work

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Head work
From: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 11:36:26 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I don't know what somebody could do to a 1500 Midget head that'd be worth $1000
other than a whole lot of porting.  There is a local here who races Midgets and
he takes his heads and other machining to a guy who drag races and runs a
performance machine shop.  For about $275 they stuck my 1500 head in a kiln for
few days, took it out, and actually welded the crack instead of plugging it.
Then they proceeded to do a complete valve job.  They asked if I wanted porting,
and I said how much and they said it depends on how much you want.  The guy that
races Midgets said he had about $1500 worth of porting on his head, but his is a
1275.  I declined to have porting done, because I couldn't see how it'd be worth
it.

That's just my .02.  I would be interested in somebody else spending the $1000
and giving me a report though.  Not enough people experiment with performance on
the 1500 Midgets, and I don't have the money to risk.

adrian