Re: Engine Spec advise wanted

To: Valentine <valntine@mail.ptd.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Spec advise wanted
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 20:16:19 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Kevin,
I would advise a low budget hopup (unlike mine).  Increase the compression
ratio by shaving the head some, do some head work as you describe, get the
Kent MD266 complete kit with valve springs, maybe some Vizard carb mods,
stub stacks inside the air filters.  A good LCB and exhaust may be nice,
but are expensive too!  After reading the Vizard book, the stock exhaust
pipe diameter is not all that small for a 1275, the stock early muffler is
straight through, the exhaust manifold is probably not too bad either.
Unfortunately Vizard only tested Mini manifolds.

Then later, when you feel like tinkering, buy one or two Weber books and a
DCOE and start messing with jetting, maybe optimizing the jetting on a
rolling road dyno.  This is very rewarding, and after reading a good Weber
book, it becomes less of a black art.

Have fun!

Ulix

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Valentine wrote:

> I am going to rebuild a 1275.  I have a block from a 74 and plan to
> rebuild with stock pistons and bearings.
>
> I am looking for a little increased horsepower for street use only.  It
> is my current understanding that the better the engine can breath the
> more power I can extract from it.
>
> I plan on improving the cam with a mild street cam and doing some intake
> mods (ala Visard and Stapelton).  I also would like to install headers
> and a less restrictive exhaust than stock.
>
> I want to keep the SUs, for now but may go to a weber later on.
>
> So, I need some opinions, (lots of them).
>
> Some questions to get you started;
>
> Will the mods I have stated above be useful without over-boreing the
> engine?
>
> What is the best choice of Cams?  Headers? exhaust?
>
> What other work is warrented?
>
> Keep in mind I am striving for a good street runner not a racer.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin
> 63, 71 and 74 Midgets

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9