Re: Engine Spec advise wanted

To: valntine@mail.ptd.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Spec advise wanted
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:47:54 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 16/4/1999  11:46:15PM,  valntine@mail.ptd.net writes:

<< Kevin >>

I would decide at the outset what the absolute top speed you plan to use will
be, ie 100mph, 110mph, 120 mph (any more is expensive).  Establish what
gearing the car has and then from there you get a maximim rpm you are ever
going to use.  Make sure that the bottom end of the engine is safe to the rpm
and that the cam will rev to that rpm.

The cam is the key to everything because ultimately it will limit the bhp and
rpm potential of the engine.  Also, it is a lot of bother to change it for
something else - engine out job and followers as well as new cam.  Aside from
the top rpm of the cam consider the bottom end of the cam too - how low an
rpm will it pull from.

For a street engine that will not 'break the bank' I would go for a Kent 276.
 It just has that little edge over the 266 while not as wild as the ultimate
street cam which is the 286.  The APT grinds might be slightly better than
some of the Kent grinds but remember DV developed both sets!!

The rest of the engine spec just needs to be ok with the RPM potential of the
engine, ie pistons that can take it, centre main strap if required and so on.

With an engine that will stay together and the right cam you can fit whatever
head and induction/exchaust  you like to begin with and then upgrade as funds
or desire allows.

I would always go with a Weber 45 DCOE.  You can choke it down with 32mm main
venturi if the power output is initially low and then go up 2mm at a time
when things improve - and all the time you have the same carb.

Just my tuppence worth on a BIG subject.

Daniel1312

how high you want the engine to rev - and what gearing you plan to use.  The