Re: blowers

To: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Subject: Re: blowers
From: Mark Endicott <endicott@nashville.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:09:02 -0500
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Daniel Thompson wrote:

> Fitting a Judson to a 1275 requires some engineering work. I believe there
> is someone on this list who is trying to do just that right now. Care to
> jump in?

It could be me, I am in the early stages of fitting a Judson to a 1275
Midget.  First of all I need to make it clear that I have never done
this before and I have a lot to learn.

To answer your questions about cost. I found a Judson on the internet
for $500, it was nearly complete and had the Holley 2042 S carb. The
manifolds are perfect and the rotor and vanes look like new.  I don't
believe that it was run for more that a few days, probably a failed
installation attempt.  I too have seen them for sale for as much as
$1500 and I have also heard of the ones found for $20 at a yard sale,
I figure that life is short and that sometimes you have to jump on a
reasonable deal or die wishing you had.  I cleaned it up and found
that the bearings were shot and that there were several challenges if
it was to be installed on a 1275. I found George Folchi, New Milford,
CT (860) 355-2807, through George Marinos.  George Folchi rebuilds
Judsons as a side line job at home.  He now has my Judson and is
nearing the completion of a rebuild.   He is also machining a spare
harmonic balancer to accept the drive belt.  He is rebuilding the
Marvel Oiler, the carb, all bearings and supplying an air filter and
glass bottle for the oiler.  He is to return the unit to me with
"everything" that I will need to install it on my car.  This is
costing about $300, now I am up to about $800 and would guess that I
need another $100 worth of gaskets, seals, etc.  I don't race my car
but I wanted a Judson when I was a kid in the 60's and had a couple of
MK II sprites. I think it is the "cool" issue and the challenge that
has motivated me.  My work on car time vs drive time is probably 10:1
but that is the way I like it.

My original engine is strong and has only 27K since new.  Its only
modification is an electronic ignition.  It is the 8.8:1 high
compression version and there is some concern about detonation
problems, George thinks that it could be somewhat serious problem if
we exceed about 4 lb. of boost.  For this reason I will take it easy,
assuming that it ever runs.  I have put a new head gasket and ARP
studs on it.  On the 1275 the oil separator will interfere with the
Judson drive belt so it has to go.  This makes the installation more
than just a bolt on project.  I have an early version timing cover
that is being modified to have a 1/2 inch tube installed in the top
edge.  I plan on putting an in line oil separator and perhaps a PCV
valve in line to the air intake on the filter housing.  I have had
several suggestions for ways to vent the sump, but I think I will try
it my way first, then probably do it over.  It will be several months
before I will have it installed, I may even wait until next winter
since it will take a while and I am in no big hurry.  I still need to
find a boost gauge and several little things like a spare 1275 to
rebuild when I blow up my engine.

There are pictures and some more information at:
http://members.home.net/mendicott/judson.html

I hope that this answers some of you questions.

--
Mark
1970 Midget

http://members.home.net/mendicott/midget.html