Re: Busted axle shaft?!!

To: <Lancer7676@aol.com>, <deadboy@hooked.net>
Subject: Re: Busted axle shaft?!!
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:24:58 +1000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
It is a fatigue thing. Fatigue life of components decreases with the
maximum range of the loads. If you use the axle on both sides, the
direction of the maximum principal stresses on the flange swing
right around  (driving torque and bending torque combined), greatly
increasing the range at a microscopic level,  and the driving torque
at the splines is reversed (doubling the range).

Given the astronomical number of load cycles that these things see,
fatigue is worth considering. Most of the half shaft failures I have seen
are simple fatigue failure.

I haven't done fatigue life testing on half shafts, but I have done it on
aircraft
components many years ago.

Mike