Re: auto painting, compressors,

To: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: auto painting, compressors,
From: "Jay Bourgraf" <jaybird@isoc.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 21:17:02 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Toby,
    I painted my wife's 86' T-bird last week. The gun that I used was
a Sharp #5814 Cobalt series, HVLP with a 1.4mm nozzle $120.00.
Contrary to popular belief, you can use these with a 5hp 20gal
Craftsman compressor (with the smaller 1.4mm nozzle). I added a
regulator with a gauge and filter at the gun. Pressures were as
follows:
compressor 120psi
regulator at compressor 100psi
regulator at the gun 40-50 psi (depending on paint)
With these settings and my trigger wide open, the gauge at the gun
never dropped below 40psi.
    I used single stage eurathane (solid colors only). Metallics come
in basecoat clearcoat. 3M makes a disposable mask that is made for
eurathanes $17.00.
    With this combination, eurathane/HVLP, it only took 2 quarts of
paint to cover the T-bird (I bought a whole gallon so I'm stuck with
1/2 gal.). HVLP's put out virtually no overspray and the new high
solids paints cover very well, so much more paint goes on the car
instead of in the air.
Jay Bourgraf
....hope I didn't babble too much!