Re: New Car/No LBC Content

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Car/No LBC Content
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 00:02:11 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
J. Adrian Barnes wrote:

> Actually, the trick with the automatic Honda tranny is to use ONLY Honda
> transmission fluid (ATF).  If you use only Honda tranny fluid and change at
> regular intervals, you will not have any problems.  If you don't believe me,
> drain your Honda transmission and put Ford fluid in there, drive for awhile,
> then put real Honda fluid back in and feel the difference.  I have routinely
> put 120,000+ miles on Hondas and have never had a problem.  They make it
> easy to change your fluid so you'll do it more often...they include a drain
> plug.  Just my .02!
>
> adrian

<snip from original post> "and this seems to lead to premature
> > breakdown (as opposed to the life expectancy of their engines,200,000
> > miles)."
> > Mark Snowdon
> > Greensboro NC

I agree with what you say about the fluid used, and that it should be
changed often,(I like the plug too, have converted a number of GM cars
to having tranny pan plugs). But as I said in my original post ( that I
have included) they do not stand up as long as the Honda engines or the
Manual five speeds. For this reason I feel they are the Achilles' heel
of a Honda car. Now a V6 five speed Honda is just about my idea of a
perfect car, wish they would make that option available on the Accord
coupe.

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC