Re: oil

To: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: oil
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 17:27:05 +0100
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Andie,

I cannot get Penrite easily in Atlanta. I use Valvoline 20W50 full
synthetic. So far, so good. The car does not leak any more than it did in
the past, and I got a steady gain of about 2 psi oil pressure at both idle
and highway rpm. I also saw a jump from 29 mpg to 34 - no kidding. I keep
very close records on fuel consumption. The idle rpm also jumped up about
250 rpm after switching from mineral-based oil to full synthetic. Other
than the cost (about US$4/qt), I'd say it's a no-brainer. I may change to
Castrol Syntec as it may be more available in the near future.

Jeff

---
On 5/22/99, Andy Webster wrote:
>Greetings list.
>I have been a devout PENRITE user (HPR50) since I forked out $2100 to
>rebuild a 318-V8 a few  years back and have always used it in my sprite. The
>only concern I have with it is its 'starting' ability.
>As a 40w-70 oil I would expect that its going to be pretty slow in getting
>to the top of the motor. Is this not a problem because it tends to cling and
>it will already be there when I start up?
>I know some people are using mobil 1 synthetic in their spridgets...any
>opinions on it? I thought it was really for modern multivalve cars with
>ultra tight tolerances etc. I'm attracted to the 5w, runny when cold side
>that suggests that it will be at the top of the engine in no time. What kind
>of pressure does it maintain when its that light and at temp? Can you folks
>outside of Australia get Penrite?
>Thanks in advance
>Andy

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD