Re: oil

To: "Spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil
From: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 22:41:11 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
HPR 50 is too heavy for a Sprite motor which is designed to run on a 30
weight oil.  In Australia's climate a 50 weight is ok because ambients are
generally higher.  You are right in your startup concern, most engine wear
occurs in the first minute of running.  40W-70 puts too much strain on the
oil pump and will not pump to the top of the engine quickly enough.
Another thing is that oils that are too viscous for an application can
actually reduce effective lubrication by not allowing an oil film too fully
penetrate a bearing clearance.  If your engine is in good condition you can
expect 50psi hot at highway speeds.  The viscosity of oils is standardised
in the weight, or second number, the W rating indicates how well the oil
flows at low temperatures.  Mobil 1 5W50 is ideal for Sprites- if the
engine is in good condition but if it's not no oil will help.  Also don't
forget the S rating ie SG, SH, SI, SJ.  The further up the alphabet the
better the oil.

I don't use mineral oils anywhere in any of my cars.

Peter