Re: Purchase From List Member ;(

To: jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Re: Purchase From List Member ;(
From: Michael D Myers <mdmyers_ct@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 19:36:24 -0400
Cc: ulix@u.washington.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have bought an item from someone on another list, and we worked it out
as follws:

Agreed on price plus shipping, I sent a check for half the amount. When
the seller received the check, the item was shipped.  Upon receipt, I
sent the check for the balance. This seemed to be a way to deal in good
faith even though we had never met. ( I was a little skeptical at first
since the responses to my e-mails on price etc. were somewhat slow, but
things worked out OK).

Mike Myers

On Mon, 24 May 1999 17:46:48 -0400 Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
writes:
>Hope that 'singed' was not refering to me!
>
>I agree with Ulix, there is obviously an equal risk being taken here.
>have sold several items through the list. My practice is to tell the
>buyer
>the day I'm mailing the item; I expect the buyer to send the check
>that
>day. It has not always worked out that way, but it's always pretty
>close.
>I'm not an organized guy...
>
>Jeff
>
>At 5:18 PM -0400 5/24/99, Ulix Goettsch wrote:
>> Paul,
>> that brings up an interesting issue.
>> It seems that most internet trade puts all the risk onto the buyer.
>"Send
>> me a check and after it has cleared I'll send the merchandise."  It
>seems
>> that sellers think that they are the only ones risking anything
>here.
>> As Michael's problem shows, that is not the case.
>> I don't have a solution, I guess I am just ranting, but a little
>more
>> faith on the part of the sellers would be nice.
>>
>> BTW, I LOVE to buy stuff through this list.  It is so much more fun
>and
>> easier (and usually cheaper) than looking through junkyards etc.
>>
>> Never been burned (only slightly singed),
>> Ulix
>>

>> On Mon, 24 May 1999, Paul A Asgeirsson wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Folks,
>> >
>> > I have bought and sold lots of relatively small dollar stuff,
>mostly NOS
>> > or used, and have yet to be stiffed by anyone.  My approach to
>selling
>> > used items is to send it for approval, then they can pay or return
>the
>> > item to me.  So far, so good.  I'll continue to deal with trust
>with
>> > folks on this list.
>> >
>> > Never have gone the route of having someone get something from
>England
>> > for me, so I can't comment on that.
>> >
>> > FWIW
>> >
>> > Paul
>> > PAsgeirsson@juno.com
>> >
>> > On Mon, 24 May 1999 15:53:17 -0400 Michael Graziano
><mgrazian@ltcm.com>

>car
>March
>no