Re: Sealing frame members

To: RBHouston@aol.com, Lancer7676@aol.com, suhs2@hotmail.com, CONAN@ralvm8.vnet.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Sealing frame members
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 13:36:00 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I haven't used Waxoyl before and assume this might be good to use inside
frame members or closed areas. If sealing seams or protecting exterior
surfaces is the goal, there are professional products that are easy to use
and are better suited. 3M makes specific seal sealers that come in caulking
tubes, dries fast and is paintable. For coating panels or exposed surfaces,
I used Evercoat rubberized undercoat. I think 3M also has a similar
product. I did the entire underside, including the wheel wells of my MKIV
with the Evercoat and the 3M seam sealer and it came out great. People
who've seen it in person were impressed how nice a finish it leaves, and
it's paintable also. Makes a good sound deadener too. I think it is the
same stuff they use as a "rock guard". The Evercoat product is probably
available only from professional auto paint shops as is the seam sealer,
but it's surprisingly cheap. I did the entire car with about six large cans
at under $5 a can. Of course you should make sure that what you're covering
is clean and rust free otherwise the deterioation will continue
"undercover".

Underside pictures can be seen on my site http://www.gerardsgarage.com/

go to the Sprite Restorations page and follow thw MKIV links.

Gerard

At 10:55 AM -0400 5/29/99, RBHouston@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 5/28/99 8:00:34 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
>Lancer7676@aol.com writes:
>

>>  I dont see how Waxoyl would actually seal a seam.  Isnt it soft after the
>>  petroleum evaporates?  I am going to use rubberized undercoating or fiber
>>  impregnated roofing compound, brushed firmly into the seams to force them
>>  into the holes
>

>I have no idea of it's availability north of here, but we mostly use
>evaporative coolers here in the desert and they sell a sray can full of
>cooler coating..thin tar stuff at Home Depot and the like (sorry Frank).
>It's like thin roofing tar in a can.  I would think you could rig up a soda
>straw or something on the nozzle and get into cracks and crannys with it.
>(down Ulix)...
>
>Course, we don't really need it here.
>
>Robert Houston

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux