Re: oil addatives

To: Nory P <nory_midget@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: oil addatives
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:46:51 -0400
Cc: RBHouston@aol.com, JStock0540@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Nory P wrote:

> I know everybody puts down these additives and says
> they're a waste of money, but I'd like to relate a
> short story:
>
> The postman where I used to work had a Midget (bought
> it new in the UK while he was in the service, and
> shipped it home when he got out).  Not long after
> Slick 50 came out, being impressed by the TV
> commercials, he added some with his next oil change.
> He apparently did not tighten the oil filter enough
> and, the next day, it began to leak.  The leak didn't
> seem too serious, so he opted to drive the car to work
> (and back) that day, planning to fix it when he got
> home that night.  Well, the leak got much worse,
> unbeknownst (love that word) to him, and by the time
> he got home and checked out the situation, he found he
> had no oil left at all!  He had no idea how long it
> was running without oil, but he attributes the lack of
> any engine damage to his use of Slick 50 (just like
> the commercials said!).
>
> I, personally, don't use the stuff and never have, but
> when someone tells you of an experience like that, you
> wonder if maybe it wouldn't be worth trying, just to
> be on the safe side.
>
> YMMV

I have to agree with Nory on this.
I had a 69 Sprite with a bum temp gauge, I had just put Slick 50 in it.
Bottom hose gave out on the Parkway, it was winter, I noticed I had no
heat meaning either my radiator froze up (I have done that before too)
or I was out of water/coolant. When I pulled into the service area to
see what was wrong I noticed a ripped lower hose. No coolant at all in
the motor. 20 miles with no water at all convinced me that the Slick 50
kept it alive.
No harm done at all.
Coinsidence? Luck? or Slick 50?
When my 67 Sprite froze up (like in solid block of ice in the radiator,
that engine was shot. No Slick 50 back then.
I am a believer.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ