Please diagnose my car

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Please diagnose my car
From: Justin Cook <justincook@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
My sprite has a 1275 recently rebuilt with SUs that probably need to be
rebuilt.  It starts great, accelerates well.  But when I go down the
road in 4th gear at 3500 - 4000 rpm for a quarter mile or so, it will
lose power and vibrate some.  If I disengage the clutch and let the
engine idle for a few seconds it will come back strong for a few
seconds and then lose power again.

Once while it was doing this, I turned off the key and coasted into a
parking lot (very ungracefully in front of a policeman with a radar
gun).  I pulled off the covers on the settling bowls expecting one to
be empty but they both had fuel (maybe I wasn't fast enough?).

It's taken a year to get this car road-ready and it's torture finally
having a car that runs great... but doesn't.  All suggestions
appreciated!

Thanks,
Justin