Re: Please diagnose my car

To: Justin Cook <justincook@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Please diagnose my car
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Justin,
if it sounds like a spark plug wire has fallen off, is down on power so
much that you can barely keep the speed up with the pedal floored, I would
say you are getting some crap into one of the carbs (my car does that
sometimes).  But if that's it, it would also idle really badly or more
likely die when you push in the clutch.  It doesn't do that, does it?

The test you did is what I would have rcommended.
Does it feel like it is running on one carb?

Ulix

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, Justin Cook wrote:

> My sprite has a 1275 recently rebuilt with SUs that probably need to be
> rebuilt.  It starts great, accelerates well.  But when I go down the
> road in 4th gear at 3500 - 4000 rpm for a quarter mile or so, it will
> lose power and vibrate some.  If I disengage the clutch and let the
> engine idle for a few seconds it will come back strong for a few
> seconds and then lose power again.
>
> Once while it was doing this, I turned off the key and coasted into a
> parking lot (very ungracefully in front of a policeman with a radar
> gun).  I pulled off the covers on the settling bowls expecting one to
> be empty but they both had fuel (maybe I wasn't fast enough?).
>
> It's taken a year to get this car road-ready and it's torture finally
> having a car that runs great... but doesn't.  All suggestions
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9