Re: Wet Ignition

To: Dave Hiley <dhiley@cadvision.com>
Subject: Re: Wet Ignition
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 22:37:19 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dave,
I live in Seattle and drive my Sprite every day (normally).  I have never
had this problem except for when I washed my engine.
Could it be that your cap is going bad?

I used to see a waterproofing kit for sale in some catalog (VB?).  It was
a shaped rubber sleeve that fit over the distributor with holes for the
plug wires.

Ulix

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Dave Hiley wrote:

> Hello Sprigeteers
>
> I finished my rear suspension overhaul tonight, bled the brakes and,
> despite cold (3C) and wet weather, took Smidge for a top down romp.
> <GGGGGGGGGGGGGGG>  Damn fine.  I cannot believe the difference in ride and
> handling that has resulted from replacement of the rear spring bushings.
>
> But for the first time since I have owned it, she quit on me.  I suspected
> wet ignition so pulled the dizzy cap, dried it off and also the coil wire
> and she started right up and ran fine the rest of the way home.
>
> I am driving out to Rally in the Valley in Vernon B.C. next Wednesday,
> about 320 miles through the heart of the Canadian Rockies.  Does anybody
> have a waterproofing routine?  I rarely drive my car in foul weather but
> would hate to fight the problem on a longish trip if it happened to be
> raining.
>
> Thanks to all listers for ongoing inspiration and suggestions.
>
> dave
> '72 midget MkIII
>
> p.s. anybody else from the west going to Vernon?  They are expecting 150+
> Brit cars of various flavours.

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9