Re: (LBC) Water temp and Electric Fans

To: RJohn50603@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: (LBC) Water temp and Electric Fans
From: Lmacy1211@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 14:36:38 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Yes. The impellers are the same. I think the problem is 2 fold. THe
thermostat tha controls the fan fits in the rad fins. It is set for 180.
THe other problem was I chose a 12" fan and it has 6 blades and the moter
and it blocks a lot of air from going through the rad. Not sure if a 10"
fan would be any better but I would like to try. I sure liked not
listeneng to that fan.

Larry

>In a message dated 7/3/99 9:46:29 PM Central Daylight Time,
>Lmacy1211@aol.com writes:
>
><< Well after sing the praises of tan electric fan for the last 2 years I
> went back to the old clutch driven one.
>
> Why, you may ask? Well I'll tell you why. It always seemed to run hotter
> with that fan. Lately it seemed like every time I was in traffic, it
> headed for the redline. Made me real uncomfortable. I am in traffic a lot
> - daily driver, 4 miles to the train station, stop and go, 20 min, at
> least. What convinced me was a the 300+ mile cruise in cool rainy weather
> on Fathers Day/Damit Dick weekend. So this AM I got up pulled the
> electric and put the old water pump and fan back in. Then went for a
> cruise in 90+ weather. Temp now stays near the middle of the gauge.
> Remember on a 78 MIdget - there are no numbers on the gauge, just H and
> C.
>
> Biggest disapointment I see is the increase in the noise. THat damn fan
> is really noisy. I liked listening to the engine/exhaust. But at least
> now I am not risking the engine to overheating.
>
> I think if I had a lower temp control in the rad for the fan, or maybe a
> smaller fan that didn't block as much air for the tiny rad in a Midget, I
> might have been better off. Of course, how much a new batch of coolant
> and Water Wetter affects all of this I can only speculate. But at least
> it runs cooler now.
>
> Larry >>
>
>Did the impeller on the water pumps appear the same?
>
>R. Johnson - Dallas

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?