Re: Painting Rostyles

To: gottstein@erols.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting Rostyles
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 14:55:33 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
gottstein@erols.com writes:

<< Does anyone know what paint I should use for the black and silver rostyle
 rims?  Carl Elliott let me know the colors available from Eastwood's, but
 also said that they were relatively expensive.  Were there Rustoleum colors
 that someone mentioned? >>

I used Eastwood's "Detail Silver" spray paint on my Rostyles.  It is $6.99
for a 12 oz. can and it took two cans.  Then, I used Rustoleum black and
masked the wheels.  BAD CHOICE!!!  Buy a black paint from Eastwood of the
same type as the Detail Silver.

The reason (time for true confessions, and making myself look stupid!) is
that I decided to protect the wheels with a Plastikote clear wheel spray
after I was finished.  The wheels looked pretty good.  I hit the first one
with the clear spray, and the Rustoleum bubbled up like I had poured paint
remover on it!  The Eastwood paint stayed solid.

I let that wheel dry completely, sanded it smooth, and painted the black
again.  Needless to say, my wheels don't have the clear coat protection.

Stick with Eastwood.  Great product and not too expensive.
(http://www.eastwoodco.com)

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport