Re: Panhard rod question

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Panhard rod question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 09:54:53 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
> I'll let my ignorance show a bit here, but that's how we all learn.  I'd like
> to hear (read) an explanation of panhard rods also.  What is the difference
> between that and an anti-sway bar, and how does each work?  Where is each
> connected to the car.

It usually goes across the width of the car, connects to the axle near the
right wheel and connects to the underside of the body near the left wheel
with a bracket so that the bar is level with the ground.

Picture it in your head or make a drawing and you will see that this keeps
the axle from moving side to side (which it will otherwise since it is
only located by the leaf springs).

For me, the Panhard bar makes the handling much more predictable.  The
oversteer comes on gradually and you can feel it coming.  Before I
installed it, the body would move sideways with respect to the axle,
traction, the axle would snap back to the center and traction was lost
abruptly.

It also helps with tire rubbing problems.

Question:  Who has installed a Winner's Circle bar (or other full length
bar) and how do you like it?  Any major modifications to the car required?

http://students.washington.edu/~ulix/         '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9