RE: Gas Smell

To: "Guy" <Guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Gas Smell
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:23:21 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Just a hunch, but my riding lawnmower had a similar problem.  What caused it
was a mostly blocked vented gas cap.  When I parked it, the heat from the
engine (exhaust?) continued to heat up the gas in the tank.  When the
pressure got high enough, it escaped through the mostly blocked vent hole.
Mine was accompanied by a whistle.  Does it only happen on hot summer day or
does it happen on cool fall/spring days as well.  Is your garage overly hot?
You could try opening the fuel cap right before the fuel smell starts (I
think you said 30 minutes) and see if your gas tank is pressurized.  Just a
guess.  If this is correct, it would explain why you still get the
smell/vapors when the float bowls are dry!

Bill