Re: Radiator Fan Spacer

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Radiator Fan Spacer
From: Mark Snowdon <racer45@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 09:47:14 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bryan Vandiver wrote:

> John,
>
> I had to  get some spacers to get my bugeye metal fan to work on my 1275, so
> that the fan would clear the oil breather on the timing cover. I'm still using
> the orginal vertical flow radiator. As far as optimal flow goes, I would
>suspect
> that the distance to the radiator is not that critical, as long as the fan
> shroud is still in place, and the fan blades are within the shroud  (about 1
> 3" from the radiator).
>
> regards - Bryan
>
> >To: "'Majordomo, Spridgets List'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
> >Subject: Radiator Fan Spacer
> >
> >I read somewhere but now forgot, there is a specification on how far the
> >radiator fan should be from the radiator to achieve maximum air flow through
> >the radiator.  Most parts houses sell a "distance piece" of various
> >thickness that move the fan closer to the radiator depending upon the
> >thickness of the spacer.  How close should the fan be to the radiator. I
> >have an engine driven fan on an AH Sprite using a vertical flow radiator.
> >
> >Regards
> >John Gronberg
> >Siemens Building Technologies, Inc.
> >Buffalo Grove, Illinois 60089-4513
> >Phone:  847-215-1050 ex 5092
> >Fax:      847-229-3658
> >Email:  john.gronberg@us.landisstaefa.com

My understanding of fan placement is that the fan should not be
completely inside the shroud and that it needs to have about 1/8 of the
fans width in the clear behind the shroud to work correctly. Can someone
remember the reasoning behind that. I was told the reason a long time
ago, but only the measurement part comes back to mind.

Mark Snowdon
Greensboro NC