Re: Almost...!

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, davidr@sunset.net, adrian@workgroup.net
Subject: Re: Almost...!
From: Christian Stanton <cstanton@pixley.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:46:00 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I found out that my '78 will turn over without a ground strap!
However this will draw the ground through the rest of the wiring to the engine
as well as the accelerator cable.  The voltage drop across the
now tiny wiring on the ground was enough to cause the coil to get very little
voltage
and not produce spark.

The issue was that the car would turn over, but not start
as soon as I released the key the engine would give a few pops
as the voltage to the coil returned but not have enough
momentum to actually fire up.

After discovering this, I took a propane torch
and some solder to the ground strap (it's only crimped to the lugs)
and soldered it good and tight.

My bet is that the starter is gone.  Do the voltage test as Peter C. outlined
to isolate it.

P.S. Ground strap is near the oil dipstick on the front right hand side of the
engine.

<< If it is a bad solenoid you might be able to get around the problem by
 giving it a couple of whacks with a hammer.   >>
P.P.S. On all Midgets wasn't the solenoid external (mine is)?
If you gave it a good whack with a BFH you are likely to destroy it.
This does work with starters with integrated solenoids that also
engage the gear.

>>> "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net> 07/19 12:19 PM >>>
I also just remembered another common cause of this type of problem.  Check
to make sure there is a good ground strap to the engine.  A car that has
been sitting for a long time could have coroded through or come loose.
Without it, there won't be enough current to turn the starter.