Re: Help with Rear Springs Needed

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Help with Rear Springs Needed
From: Jason Urban <jurban@p3.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:09:43 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
When I replaced the springs on the Sprite, I used a different method than
that suggested so far.
- Install only the front mount of the spring.
- Line up the axle and secure U-bolts while supporting the axle with a jack
and wood or something else to support the spring.
- Remove axle and spring jack and supports.  The body is still solidly
supported by stands or whatever.
- Bend a piece of metal into an upside-down U shape wide enough to fit over
the spring.  The opening will be the width of the spring.  Fit the U over
the back end of the spring and secure the end of the U-shape with a long
bolt or screw.
- Using a long bar, around 5 or 6 feet, slide the bar from the back under
the spring through the U-shape and down to where the axle meets the spring.
- Now have an assistant push the bar down.  This brings the spring down and
"rearward" to allow the rear shackle to be installed.
- Install rear shackle and make sure all other fasteners are tight!

Hopefully that's clear!!
Jason.

|  Jason Urban - APOGEE LABS  215-699-2060    |
|     CA Studio   web.p3.net/~jurban          |
|  '95 Z/28 6spd    '65 Austin-Healey Sprite  |
|  '96 Land Rover Disco                       |