Re: Hot Foot'n

To: <monetta@mindspring.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hot Foot'n
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:05:23 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
My '61 Sprite is exactly the same way. You have a couple of problems here
that are actually design flaws:

1) the heater hoses are short, and will transfer a lot of heat to the core
even with the valve off.

2) the fresh air duct passes through the engine compartment, heating the
already summer-hot fresh air.

3) lack of insulation in the footwells allows LOTS of heat to leak in from
the engine and exhaust system.

Here's what I did:

I completely disconnected the heater core from the engine and looped a
length of heater hose between the two engine hose fittings. Then I added
insulation (the shiny stuff sold by Moss and others) to the floor and
transmission hump. Sometimes I find that I'm more comfortable if I close the
vents, even though it's already an oven down there.

Doing these things probably dropped the footwell temperature by 20 degrees,
so that it is only maybe 110 degrees down there on a summer day. I intend to
add more insulation to help the situation.

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Sprite
Clemmons, NC