Best way to turn engine while adjusting valves??

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Best way to turn engine while adjusting valves??
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 21:41:43 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,

I was installing a new head on my 1275 and I got to the part where you
adjust the valves. Everytime I've done this in the past I've ended up with
bloody knuckles from trying to turn the engine over by hand and having my
knuckles cheese grated by the radiator.

It was too hot for that today, so I tried the rolling the car while in gear
method, but it turns out that didn't work too well. My driveway isn't level
and it's hard to stop it rolling at just  the right spot.

Does anyone have a favorite, easy, accurate way to turn the engine over
while adjusting the valves? I'm going to give it another shot in the
morning.

Thanks,

Robert

(who just spent the last 6 hours without electricity on the hottest day so
far this year)