Re: Best way to turn engine while adjusting valves??

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: Best way to turn engine while adjusting valves??
From: fooshst <fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 22:35:00 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello robert,

Saturday, July 31, 1999, 8:41:43 PM, you wrote:

rw> Hi,

rw> I was installing a new head on my 1275 and I got to the part where you
rw> adjust the valves. Everytime I've done this in the past I've ended up with
rw> bloody knuckles from trying to turn the engine over by hand and having my
rw> knuckles cheese grated by the radiator.

rw> It was too hot for that today, so I tried the rolling the car while in gear
rw> method, but it turns out that didn't work too well. My driveway isn't level
rw> and it's hard to stop it rolling at just  the right spot.

rw> Does anyone have a favorite, easy, accurate way to turn the engine over
rw> while adjusting the valves? I'm going to give it another shot in the
rw> morning.

rw> Thanks,

rw> Robert

rw> (who just spent the last 6 hours without electricity on the hottest day so
rw> far this year)

    I always use 4th gear. Try putting a wheel chock (phone book?)
    behind to catch it.

Best regards,
 fooshst                            mailto:fooshst@stumail.gc.cc.fl.us