(follow up) Blown Head Gasket

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: (follow up) Blown Head Gasket
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:29:18 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback!

I pulled the head last night, and here's what I found...

The gasket didn't really 'blow'. The copper gasket itself appeared to be in OK
condition, however it was clear that it failed to seal almost everywhere!(gives
a new meaning to the term 'top-oiling' the pistons). It was very clear, because
of 'staining on the gasket, that coolant, and oil was not being sealed at all.
Pistons 2&3 also appeared to be sharing compression. I'm really surprised my
engine was running as well as it was, since I just thought it ran a little
rougher than it should!
In any case, I pick up the felpro gasket I have on order today. I will also
check the head and top of the engine again with a straight edge to see if they
should be resurfaced, but if there was a problem there, I would have expected a
leak in a specific area.
As far as the 'copper gasket' (made in England) goes... the over whelming
advice
is to make sure it has about three coats of copper spray gasket sealer on it
before using. This to me goes against all logic of what a a copper gasket is
all
about.

a) if a head 'gasket' doesn't seal without putting a thick coat of gasket
sealing material on it, then, that should have been specified when I bought it.

b) the whole reason for using a 'copper' gasket, is to promote a more even
cooling of the head, but in order for this to work, you need 'direct' metal to
metal contact between the copper, and head/engine.

But since you have to do 'a' to make the gasket work, then 'b' is no longer
valid - so what's the point???

In any case, thanks everyone, and if all goes well, I'll have the bugeye back
on
the road by Saturday :-

BTW - For the Felpro gasket, should both the head and engine, be complete clean
and dry before installing, or is a light coat of oil OK???

 - Regards,
 Bryan Vandiver (59-bugeye)
 San Jose, CA