Re: Retro new cars, was: BMW was: A Great (IMHO) Idea

To: Tomsjetta@aol.com, toby.1969ah.1971lc@worldnet.att.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Retro new cars, was: BMW was: A Great (IMHO) Idea
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 06:29:47 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 8/20/99 12:16:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Tomsjetta@aol.com writes:

<< Regrettably, my generation has few great cars to look up to as we grew up;
at
 least the automotive landscape was nothing as it was with people who were
 growing up in the 50's and 60's. By the time I was old enough to know I
liked
 cars, the Beetle was out of production, the Mustang II was in full swing,
the
 T-Bird was a land yacht, and the Corvette was emaciated. I guess it's hard
 imagine I was only five years old when my Midget left Abingdon.

 Personally, I welcome these "retro" new cars. Sure, some may hate the new
 Beetle, but who can argue that it's a hell of a lot more interesting than
 buying a Corolla? In the age of the Taurus and Lumina, I'll take anything.
 Even the Chrysler PT Cruiser (modeled after a '30's style truck) is
 unappealing to me, but I'll admit it looks more fun than a Windstar. >>

Hey Guys:

The kid's (no need to take offense, none intended.) got a point!    When we
of the wiser generation were in our prime we were inundated with interesting
cars that today (reading another post I received today) are featured in
museums of ART.  I keep complaining, as I did through the 80's and 90's
total, that all the cars look alike.  Well hell, for some reason cars got
just plain bland.  So why the resurging interest in the bearty of classic
curves and styling of the old Marques?  Sensory Deprivation is what we
Counselor-types call it.  If all you get is sitting in a room for years with
four beige walls, which is comparable to the offerings of the automobile
industry of the 70's (our cars were on the decline),  80's and 90's, you
would clamor at the slightest hint of color.  So we have a whole
generation--maybe two generations--of sensory deprived youngsters who define
an automobile as a mass of flat sheet-metal, a barge, or a bean.

To go back and restyle the older, interesting "looks" is exciting and
interesting to those who have grown up with "ho-hum" automobiles, yet who
want more dependabliity, today's technologies, and who do not consider
themselves even amateur mechanics.  They want the old Healey with a warranty.
 I say let em have it.  The resurgance of the old looks pays homage to the
great cars of yesterday, the very cars we gather to tinker with, discuss, and
drive.

Thanks kid (no need to take offense, none intended.),  for this reminder!

--David    8^)