exhaust bandage

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: exhaust bandage
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 16:40:04 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Does anyone have experince with exhaust pipe repair kits? I have a small
hole in the pipe. It is on the top surface of the pipe, just below my feet,
of course. Welding is out for now as I've spent my car budget for the rest
of the year...

There appears to be a couple of types of kits for this. One is goo in a
tube that you squirt into the hole. It then hardens overnight. The other
type uses some type of wrap. One wrap kit has a adhesive-backed foil tape
as a heat sheild. This is wrapped around the pipe. Then, an adehsive-backed
strip of plastic or fiberglass is wrapped around this. When heated, it's
supposed to all melt together. The wrap kit has a thin piece of metal that
you're supposed to form around the pipe. The pipe and shield are then
wrapped with a strip of fiberglass cloth that you've previously dipped into
some undefined goo in a pouch. This too is supposed to form a solid patch
upon heating.

Any thoughts?

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD