Re: fate of the hobby

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fate of the hobby
From: AnnWebbTX@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:47:35 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

>  there is no emotional
>  connection with their past for them.

I'm pretty much a lurker on the list, but I just have to share my story on
this topic. When I was about 15, my Dad seemed to think I was heading off in
the wrong direction in life. He wanted to find something which would capture
my interest and keep me out of trouble. Of course, the answer was a 1971
Midget which needed quite a bit of work. I remember the day we bought it, for
$800...we had to tow it home. And then the first time it ever actually
started for us, which was quite a while later...what a thrill that was! And
what a surprise for the neighbors!

That was about 10 years ago, and the Midget is still running great. It
brought my father and I together, and gave us a bond very few father and
daughters seem to have these days. Plus, it gave me a deep appreciation for
the cars themselves. I don't drive the Midget everyday now, like I did
through high school and college (the traffic in Dallas is too dangerous to
risk it!), but it still puts a smile on my face every time I turn the key and
the engine starts up right away. It thrills me to realize the history of
these cars, and how it all boils down to something so precious to my dad and
me.

FYI - I bought a 1976 MGB last Thursday and we've begun working on it
already. I think this one will be my daily driver. Hopefully, they'll both be
around for my kids someday. The hobby will live on.

Ann