Re: Diagnosis

To: "Robert J Carlson" <rjcarlson@webzone.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Diagnosis
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:35:46 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert,

What would you expect for evidence of scraping, and having found none, why
suspect the brakes versus maybe the tire or wheel or even the bearings? Is
it a 'feel' sort of thing? (like most of my observations about these cars).

One thing to consider is that some shoes have the pads placed asymetrically
on the backing plates. This was a problem I had and it caused premature
wear due to scraping. What would happen is that when I applied the brakes
when backing, it would shift the shoes a little, and they would drag when I
started going forward. Not enough to notice, but that's what my mechanic
and I figured out after long cogitation and a few beers. Try flipping the
pads (keeping the various holes in the right orientation). This would be an
easy fix, and it worked for me.

Jeff

At 11:29 AM -0400 9/2/99, Robert J Carlson wrote:
> Seeking the infinite wisdom of the list.
>
> The bugeye has developed a strange noise that appears to be coming from the
> driver side rear brake. When turning right, especially at speed, it appears
> that the brake shoes may be rubbing. I've adjusted both rear drums according
> to Haynes and still cannot rid the car of this horrble scraping sound. I
> even went so far as to remove the mechanicals and inspect the springs --
> everything appears okay. The rear drums are implants from a later model
> spridget (ie the adjustment mechanism is a square 'bolt' that expands the
> shoes closer to the drums). I put the car on blocks, removed both wheels,
> tightened the 'bolt' to the point where the drums would not spin, and then
> backed off the 'bolt' about a half rotation.
>
> The brakes afford as good of stopping power as their design would appear to
> allow -- but the right side seems to scrape on right turns. I've removed the
> drum and found no evidence of scraping, but still the noise. Are there any
> other adjustment techniques to check? The shoes appear about 1/2 worn, but
> sure looks like plenty of braking material is there to suffice -- could this
> be a sign that the shoes simply need replacing?
>
> Help...

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis