Diagnosis

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diagnosis
From: "Robert J Carlson" <rjcarlson@webzone.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:29:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Seeking the infinite wisdom of the list.

The bugeye has developed a strange noise that appears to be coming from the
driver side rear brake. When turning right, especially at speed, it appears
that the brake shoes may be rubbing. I've adjusted both rear drums according
to Haynes and still cannot rid the car of this horrble scraping sound. I
even went so far as to remove the mechanicals and inspect the springs --
everything appears okay. The rear drums are implants from a later model
spridget (ie the adjustment mechanism is a square 'bolt' that expands the
shoes closer to the drums). I put the car on blocks, removed both wheels,
tightened the 'bolt' to the point where the drums would not spin, and then
backed off the 'bolt' about a half rotation.

The brakes afford as good of stopping power as their design would appear to
allow -- but the right side seems to scrape on right turns. I've removed the
drum and found no evidence of scraping, but still the noise. Are there any
other adjustment techniques to check? The shoes appear about 1/2 worn, but
sure looks like plenty of braking material is there to suffice -- could this
be a sign that the shoes simply need replacing?

Help...