Re: More MC questions (problems)

To: Michael Walter <mwalter@luminet.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More MC questions (problems)
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 22:52:38 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The problem is that this is a pretty snug fit to start with... if rust has
developed in the bore around that ring, it usually has it set firm. I've
only once (out of 4 times) removed it whole. The two hole trick works, only
I usually try to extract it with the screw. This only works if you you use
a small enough screw to prevent swelling the edge when it's screwed in,
otherwise spliting it will work too. Do be careful not to score the inside
of the bore in the process.

Gerard

At 9:35 PM -0500 9/3/99, Michael Walter wrote:
>So far, so good. You guys were right about the Spirolox washer. I got it
>off, as well as the retainer and spring. The circlip ring wasn't too bad.
>Now I am at the white ring. The books (both of them) tell me to gently move
>the shaft back and forth to dislodge the white ring and subsequent seal.
>Bull. I've moved it gently. I've moved it moderately. I've moved it like a
>backwoods preacher at a come to Jesus meeting. Still no movement.
>
>If you hold the key to this dilemma, I will be forever in your debt if you
>would share it with me. This sure seems like a lot of work to save $100
>(which is what a rebuilt costs me here).
>
>Michael Walter
>mwalter@luminet.net

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A