Re: driving light and generator

To: "Allen Hefner" <Ajhsys@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: driving light and generator
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 20:02:50 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Just keep working to make me look like an idiot huh?? Well I stand
corrested for PA but I know in WY it is illegal for driving light and Hi
beams at the same time. Got a ticket to prove it. As well as I can recall
the same is true for Colorado and Arkansas as well.

Larry

>In a message dated 9/9/99 8:13:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu writes:
>
><< In most states it is illegal to have driving lights on at the same time
> as the high beams. I know this is true in the states I have lived in
> anyway. >>
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Not in the state you live in now!  See section I.1 below.  Here are most of
>the pertinent parts of the PA Code.  I left out the parts about snowplow
>lights:
>
> (l)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps. Auxiliary driving lamps and fog
>lamps may be installed on a passenger vehicle or light truck if the lamps
>comply with the following:
>
>   (1)  Auxiliary driving lamps shall not be substituted for headlamps.
>Auxiliary driving lamps may only be used with high headlamp beams.
>
>   (2)  Fog lamps may not be substituted for headlamps.
>
>   (3)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be mounted on the front,
>spaced at least 20 inches apart from center to center and at height not more
>than 42 inches above level surface upon which the vehicle stands nor lower
>than the lowest chassis part. Rear fog lamps, if originally installed or
>offered as optional equipment, are acceptable.
>
>   (4)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall be aimed when the
>vehicle
>and lamp assembly are in the straight ahead position with the beam not above
>horizontal centerline of lamp at 25 feet.
>
>   (5)  A vehicle specified under this subchapter may have only one pair of
>approved auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps.
>
>   (6)  Auxiliary driving lamps and fog lamps shall not be placed in front
>of
>a required lamp.
>
>   (9)  In accordance with 75 Pa.C.S. ß  4303(f) (relating to general
>lighting requirements), roof or roll bar mounted off-road lights may be
>installed if they are not used on a highway or trafficway and are covered
>with an opaque covering at all times while operating on the highway or
>trafficway. Vehicles equipped with roof or roll bar mounted off-road lights
>shall have a switch that indicates to the driver, through the use of a pilot
>light, that the lights are on when so switched.
>
> (m)  Antique vehicle lighting exemption. An antique vehicle, if operated
>exclusively between the hours of sunrise to sunset and not during periods of
>reduced visibility or insufficient illumination, is exempt from requirements
>of this section except requirements pertaining to stop lamps.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Allen Hefner
>'77 Midget
>'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Manager/Administrator
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 10 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

In a world without walls or fences, what use do we have for windows or
gates?