Re: no lbc-dodged dennis now fleeing floyd

To: "Vrba, Dave" <Dave.Vrba@am.sony.com>
Subject: Re: no lbc-dodged dennis now fleeing floyd
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 22:49:26 -0400
Cc: "'Larry & Sandi Miller'" <millerls@ado13.com>, "'SPRIDGETS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET'" <SPRIDGETS@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
"Vrba, Dave" wrote:

> Larry and List:
> I too went through a typhoon (Pacific hurricane I think) on a ship while in
> the Navy.  Not a fun two days, I tell ya.  Over one wave and UNDER two.
> Almost got water down the stack once.  ALMOST is the key word there or I
> would not be here today!  Destroyer's in heavy seas are like beer cans in a
> boats wake.

Larry,

My father said the the scariest thing he saw in W.W.II was Pacific
typhoons.
During one they had the sea anchor out, lost the main engine and
finished weather the the storm on an APU.  He was on the bridge and the
ship (100 foot net tender) had a roll meter.  The meter pegged at 47
degrees and the ship kept rolling.  He thought that they were going
to sink.  I think that was the same typhoon that rolled the carrier
deck back like a can of sardines.  He said it was a strange site seeing a
carrier alone in the Pacific steaming backwards.  Said those storm sunk
a bunch of ships.  He claimed incoming Jap zeros were no where as scary as
a typhoon.

Bill Gilroy