Go-karts

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Go-karts
From: "Robert Duquette" <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:46:29 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I need some driving advice.

I've never raced before and this was using go-karts on an indoor track as
part of stag celebrations.  I managed the second best lap time in the first
heat.  ( leader had 1/100th of a second advantage over me ).

These cars were had great front wheel traction, but the back end was always
sliding out.  ( term ? oversteer? )  Heavier people seemed to have an
advantage in the corners, with the exception of the guy who had the better
time.  In the corners, I was always going in wide and trying to get in tight
as I went to try to reduce the tightness of the turn and keep the speed up.
He was always getting his nose in between my rear wheels and the 'rubber
tire wall' at the start of the corner.  (trying to nudge me into a slide (my
ex-boss, don't you know?))  These cars are rigged with two pedals: one rear
wheel brakes and the accelerator.  Acceleration from a stall on a slide out
was costly.  Especially in the second heat where the car didn't seem to have
the same oomph and I experienced some rear wheel judder on cornering.  I'm
told that the car lifts a back wheel as the frame twists, if you aren't
heavy enough.

I got blown away in the second heat.  Dropped to 4th.

What cornering strategy can I use?  We had such a gas that everyone wants to
do it again.

Robert Duquette
Ottawa ON Canada
http://www3.sympatico.ca/robertduquette