Re: Heat

To: mwalter@luminet.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Heat
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:26:43 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/21/99 11:10:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mwalter@luminet.net writes:

<< Let me be stupid again. I was driving the Midget last night. It was getting
 coolish, so I looked for the heater controls. To my surprise, I find one
 dial and a fan switch. It appears that the dial controls the direction of
 the air flow and the switch controls the fan assist. Got home and looked in
 the owner's manual. If I am reading this thing right... If my SO gets cool
 while we're tooling around, I have to pull over, open the hood, find the
 hot water re-direction switch (to route it through the heater core), shut
 the hood, climb back in, set the air flow direction and fan assist, and
 then drive off warm. When it gets too warm, I reverse the procedure? Seems
 a bit "primitive" to me. Or have I got the system all wrong? >>

No, you've got it right.  Remember that these cars were made in Jolly old
England where it is a bit cooler and damper than in the states.  Leaving the
heater valve open during the fall thru spring months and regulating the
amount of air blowing over the heater core was perfectly acceptible.

Do like Larry and Larry.  Remove the hood (top) completely, and you will find
that the heater valve can safely be left open all the time.  For winter
driving, buy a plaid scarf, about 8 feet long and wrap it around your cooler
parts.  (Warning, if you have wire wheels with knock offs, do not allow the
scarf to dangle over the edge of the door.)

It adds to the character of these cars that we all love so much.  You won't
find THAT in a Honda S2000 at any price!

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport