Re: Question re: '60 Bugeye

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question re: '60 Bugeye
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 18:53:22 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/2/99 6:00:41 PM, millerls@ado13.com writes:

<< Just a Bugeye cutout like a square body using the square body cockpit trim.

Larry >>

We agree with Larry that this is a modification.  The trim is a good question
though.  It would seem that there would be almost no chance of a car modified
prior to 1961 having the same trim as one of the later cars.  If it does
match a later car then would think that it was modified after 1961.  If there
is a seam in the middle of the rear trim say, then they could have taken two
bugeye trim pieces to make one unit for the larger compartment.  Will add
that we have seen bugeye rear decks cut up in a variety of ways in the early
'60's.  Including efforts to add a trunk lid and a few cars with most of the
deck cut out to try and make a fast back simular to the Sebring coupes.  None
of these were well done however.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (in boxes)