Hazard Wiring

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Hazard Wiring
From: "Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D." <pauld@ekpc.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 16:44:48 EST5EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
List,

A number of folks have asked me for the wiring instructions for the
hazard system.  With a lot of tracing and continuity checking I was able
to figure out one of the systems.  I did not have to cut any wires nor
install any additional switches.

I installed the system on a mkIII Sprite so this should work for a mkII
Midget.  I don't see any reason why the wiring instructions won't work
on the earlier cars.  However, the wire colors may be different.

If you think it is worthy, perhaps the instructions can get placed on the
Puddlejumper.  I have the instructions in a Word document and can add
digital pictures for clarity.

Regards,
Paul

Installing a hazard flashing system from a late model Midget to an early
Sprite mkIII or Midget mkII.

I have come across two different styles of hazard flashing systems.  One
system has five wires coming out of the hazard switch and has a red
jeweled light that flashes when the system is turned on.  The second
system has six wires coming out of the hazard switch and has a lighted
switch.  I am providing wiring instructions for the first type of system.

The following wire color abbreviations will be used:
N       Brown
R       Red
P       Purple
G       Green
W       White
B       Black
When a cable has two color code letters, the fist denotes the main color
and the second denotes the tracer color.

The back of the hazard switch is numbered from 1 to 8.  If you cannot
read the numbers, the pins are number from left to right, top to bottom
when looking at the back of the switch positioned right-side up.  Pin 1 is
top left, pin 2 is top right, …pin 8 is bottom right.
Pin 1           GP      goes to the red jeweled light originally mounted
on the console
Pin 2           GR      GR from turn signal switch (note 1)
Pin 3           GN      goes to the hazard flasher
Pin 4           GW      GW from turn signal switch (note 1)
Pin 7           G       GN from turn signal switch (note 2)
Pin 8           G       GN from turn signal switch (note 2)

Note (1)
        To make these connections, remove the bullet connector that
joins the wires from the turn signal switch to the wiring harness.
Replace with a four-way bullet connector.  Now it is possible to add the
appropriate wire from the hazard switch in a parallel connection without
cutting any wires.

Note (2)
        To make these connections, open the bullet connector that joins
the GN wire from the turn signal switch to the wiring harness.  Take
the GN cable from the turn signal switch and go to pin 7 on the hazard
switch via the G cable.  Take the GN cable from the wiring harness and
go to pin 8 on the hazard switch via the G cable.  This creates a series
connection between the hazard’s flasher and the turn signal’s flasher.

The hazard flasher has two prongs.
Prong 1 GN      goes to pin 3 on the hazard switch
Prong 2 N       fused cable that goes to an unswitched power
supply

The flashing red jeweled light has two leads.
Lead 1  GP      goes to pin 1 on the hazard switch
Lead 2  B       goes to ground

Paul A. Dolloff, Ph.D.
Lexington, KY
606/744-4812 ext. 389