MkI & MkII Questions (LONG)

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: MkI & MkII Questions (LONG)
From: Brad Fornal <toyman@htcomp.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 20:17:23 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have spoken to some list members allready about the chance of my
getting a Frogeye. I have a oppurtunity to get a MkII hull (rolling
chassis) missing Drivetrain, Hood & frame and seat bases. This car is
CHEEP!!! I could be the poster boy of the month for the "WE TIGHT"
group. Anyway, the guy is throwing in the bonnet from a Frogeye with the
deal and for an extra $50 I can get the motor and tranny out of the
Frogeye also. Question # 1: how do you tell if a smooth case tranny is
good? what do you look for and where do you open it without parts
shooting everywhere. Question #2: The head is missing but intake and
exhaust manifolds are still there (carb is in partial teardown) If
you'll notice I said "CARB" singular,this car is a 58 cuz the coil is
mounted on the genny, I don't recall this single carb set-up being
factory so please enlighten me. Question #3: The 9c was supposed to be
mechanical fuel pump if I read my Horler correctly,but the car has what
appears to be a electrical pump ( it says Lucas in it and has a knob
that turns, maybe a potentiometer to adjust fuel rate??) mounted on the
wing that the metal fuel line bolts into and there is a tube outlet to
go to the single carb. As I'm looking at this car I am wondering if this
was a bastardized prelude to "Pieces" or some special options of which I
am not aware. Question #4: Would this frozen piece of steel be worth
getting for these odds and sods? Question #5: Is there anyone in the DFW
area that would be interested in what is left of the MkII hull when I am
through with it, I don't want to "Gut & Cut" something if another lister
has a need?  If you got this far, thanks for reading and I hope someone
can answer a few of my questions.  Brad