Re: MkI & MkII Questions (LONG)

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@htcomp.net>
Subject: Re: MkI & MkII Questions (LONG)
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 22:56:44 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Brad Fornal wrote:

> Question # 1: how do you tell if a smooth case tranny is
> good? what do you look for and where do you open it without parts
> shooting everywhere.

Best to drive it but if that is not possible, maybe jack up the car and
run thru the gears. At least open the side cover and look for loose
teeth floating around. It is hard to visually see worn synchros. Chipped
teeth are obvious.
End play, worn bearings, if not severe are also hard to detect.

> Question #2: The head is missing but intake and
> exhaust manifolds are still there (carb is in partial teardown) If
> you'll notice I said "CARB" singular,this car is a 58 cuz the coil is
> mounted on the genny, I don't recall this single carb set-up being
> factory so please enlighten me.

More then likely a Morris Minor single carb set up (or Austin A40)

> Question #3: The 9c was supposed to be
> mechanical fuel pump if I read my Horler correctly,but the car has what
> appears to be a electrical pump ( it says Lucas in it and has a knob
> that turns, maybe a potentiometer to adjust fuel rate??) mounted on the
> wing that the metal fuel line bolts into and there is a tube outlet to
> go to the single carb.

Lucas electric pump? That's a new one on me.
All 63-74 spridgets had SU fuel pumps mounted behind the right rear
wheel.

> As I'm looking at this car I am wondering if this
> was a bastardized prelude to "Pieces" or some special options of which I
> am not aware.

I resemble that remark!

> Question #4: Would this frozen piece of steel be worth
> getting for these odds and sods?

Of course.

--
 Frank