Re: What I've been up to...

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What I've been up to...
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 12:24:58 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well, all I can report is that I got the same story from everyone, including
one race engine builder in Sydney who said that he has had a car on the
rolling road and it dropped > 5HP just by pulling off the alternator lead
and
popped straight back up when reconnected. this was at 7200 rpm.

Compared to when it was running smoothly, the engine felt fluffy and down
on power at high revs. It wasn't like an audible misfire.

Over here, no-one runs without an alternator. If the current drain isn't
big, the
losses are very small.

My old engine builder also gave me the same advice independently. he said
it was a sure way to lose HP.

Anyhow, when this engine gets fixed, I'm back  on the rolling road. I'll do
the experiment myself and report the results!!!! We'll then know if it is a
folk tale
or real.

Mike