Re: What I've been up to...

To: mikeg@vicnet.net.au, wsthompson@thicko.com, team-thicko@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What I've been up to...
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 14:59:45 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I'm with Mike on this one and there are two points here.

Firstly the total current draw from either an alternator or dynamo is getting
on for 2 horsepower and I know DV's book says something else but I checked
this point with Lucas some time ago.

Without a charging system the engine MAY/CAN produce less power because the
ignition system produces a weaker spark.

It is possible that the loss in spark energy and thus power can more than
offset the gain in not running any kind of generator.

For my own car I had problem (in fact lots) with a highish rpm misfire that
was worse under load - turned out this part of the problem was due to the
alternator lead coming unplugged.

Finally I would not argue with anyone who is running with lots of power and
no misfire (ignition systems can vary in demand, as can batteries). I have
seen 150+bhp A-Series engines on the dyno with my own eyes and four people
sitting/pushing on the car to prevent wheelspin on the rollers and NO
alternator or dynamo.  What I would say is:  Have you done back to back tests
on the dyno to see if you get MORE power with an alternator/dynamo fitted.

Last point running an alternator unplugged can permanently damage it, so it
would need to be removed from the engine for the testing.

Daniel1312

In a message dated 06/10/99 03:47:41 GMT Daylight Time, mikeg@vicnet.net.au