Re: What I've been up to...

To: <Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: Re: What I've been up to...
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 18:11:49 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Daniel & Greg,

Thanks to both of your for your input. The chances of me ever throwing the
Red Rat Bastard on a rolling road or engine dyno are about as good as
betting that monkey's will be flying out of my ass. (Not impossible, but
highly unlikely...)

I have no idea what kind of HP it makes... it's a 948, I'm running 12.7:1,
on a head that I'd always thought was an ancient Comptune head.. (but Dave
Tabor looked at it and said it wasn't anything his father had done based on
the numbers stamped in it) with ARP studs. Flat top AE Heppolite pistons
(also suitable for refrigerators according to the documentation), stock rods
that were reconditioned and shot peened. The crank was Nitrided years ago...
(each time the machinist and I debate whether we can get by with a
polish...). The block has a center main strap, a rear oil seal kit, running
a stock clutch and a stock (not even straight cut gears) ribcase. The cam is
an Elgin grind (with a vernier gear) that I chose based on the power band,
and my attempt to get the torque in the most usable RPM range for maximum
exit speed based on a 7500 rev limit. It turned out to be a great choice...
I can supply the number for anyone of you if you'd like). As I said earlier,
the distributor is stock. The carbs are a spare set Jim "Elmo Mancini"
Donato had in his parts tub.

I may go 2 years without adjusting the mixture on the carb, checking the
points, plugs, or timing.

The problem I had as Mosport... a high end miss, was definately "weak spark"
related, as we weren't getting enough juice from the utility pole with 20
racers all plugged in at the same time to get a good charge out of the
battery charger.

I don't think Tom Colby ran an alternator on his stinkingly fast 1380cc
Speedwell beast. He also used a garden tractor battery. I know he wasn't
spending the $9k per motor that Dr. J does (150HP), but I'm sure he was
revving it pretty good. This is a pretty interesting subject.

Since monkey's are not likely to fly out of my ass real soon, maybe in the
spring I'll try some tests with and without an alternator, and time the car
between markers at Road America. Thanks to "Dr. Dreadful, I've got a little
two timer stopwatch on the dash that should allow me to set up some timed
runs.

WST
Flounder
Team Thicko