Re: My sad story

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: My sad story
From: Mark Hineline <hineline@helix.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 16:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
>So let's end the sadness!

>Mark, what specifically are you looking for (Year, condition, price,
>wires or disc)?  I'd bet the lot of us could find a suitable palliative
>in short order.

Well.

First, I want round rear wheel arches. On both sides.

Second, it has to be invisible to wives and 16-year old sons going on 17.
That means it must never be seen in the parking lot, or on the insurance
company bill.

Third, it must be British racing green, although I have always wanted one
in almost every other color that BMC/BL produced them in. So BRG or
another color.

Fourth. Well, this takes gathering up some courage. Ahem. I actually
liked the look of the rubber bumper. But I want an A series engine. If
somehow I could get a rubber bumper model with a VIN before 1974, that
would be great (because you can't put an "older" engine in a body and
pass smog in CA). But then it couldn't be BRG. Maybe that butterscotch
color that they usually put in the sales brochure.

Fifth, to reiterate, I want a 1275 A series engine. No Spitfire motors.

Sixth, no rust and straight. I've never driven one that was straight, so
this would be an experience!

Seventh, I want to play games with aspiration. Maybe work out a Bosch CIS
system. But it should come with stock SUs.

Eighth, I am really not picky about wire or pressed steel wheels.

Nineth, It would be nice if someone else had gone through the pain of a
shock conversion other than me.

Tenth, Dealer luggage rack with no corrosion that has never been used, so
that the boot hasn't been dimpled.

Eleventh, An ingenious stereo installation that is all but invisible so
that I don't have to go through the angst of deciding whether or not to
search endlessly for a stock radio that will never work.

Twelfth, An already-installed choke-style cable attached to a small
hammer-like device so I can smack the fuel pump without going through the
sheet metal.

Thirteenth, No fiberglass panels at all.

Fourteenth, complete brake job within the past five years -- all new
lines and rubber.

Fifteenth, I want the courtesy light to be there

(Duane Allman once recorded a song like this).

Ideal price, $800. Though I don't have that much to spend right now.

Mark Hineline