RE: Dizzy problems and now a gearbox

To: "'Leigh Ellen Potter'" <L.Johnson@mailbox.gu.edu.au>
Subject: RE: Dizzy problems and now a gearbox
From: "Webster, David" <David.Webster@smec.com.au>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:28:18 +1000
Cc: "Sprites (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Liegh,

I have a similar situation, my 1st gear sounds like a coffee grinder and 2nd
gear has no synchro. The synchro cone has been replaced a couple of times
but apparently the 'genuine' Austin Rover replacement parts are made in
India of material which is obviously below standard.

Other than that my gearbox is fine, apart from the lack of a 5th gear. I
recently drove from Melbourne to Sydney and an overdrive would have been
very handy. Still managed 33mpg even though I was driving quite hard.

There's a company here in Sydney called Dellow Automotive p/l which do
conversion kit to a Toyota 5speed box. The kit was originally designed for
Morris Minors, and unfortunately involves some cutting and welding to put
into a sprite. The price is quite reasonable. Around $500 for the kit and
another $500 for a rebuilt box.

Alternatively, you could have a look at this: http://rivergate5speed.com/

As for oil pressure, I'd be concerned if I didn't have at least 60 psi @
3000rpm and not too much below 20 at idle.

What brand of oil do you use?

Dave Webster
64 sprite mk3
58 FC Holden