Re: Dizzy problems and now a gearbox

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dizzy problems and now a gearbox
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:10:45 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/22/99 1:27:47 AM, L.Johnson@mailbox.gu.edu.au writes:

<<My need for a new gearbox is looming hard and fast. <-snip-> but she's
fairly original including mechanically: 948 motor, drum brakes, etc. The only
mechanical mod (that I know of) is the alternator.  So do I rebuild the bad
gears, or do I think about a five speed?  And if I do the 5 speed, what's the
appropriate donor car in Australia? >>

Hi Leigh Ellen,

If your car has a smooth case transmission and is the same as those in the
states parts may be hard to find.  The original transmission had a large gap
between second and third that we found very annoying and often required
reving the engine higher than we cared for in order to have any power by the
time you got into third, going up steep hills for instance.  A change to the
BMC 4 speed rib cage I think is just a drop in task and it is evenly spaced
between the gears.  Dellow Automotive PTY LTD (if they still exist) list a
conversion for Spridgets using a Toyota Celica 1600 2T five speed
transmission.  The numbers for this company are:

Dellow Automotive PTY LTD
37 Daisy St. Revesby
Sydney 2212
Tel 02-774-4419
      02-774-3473
FAX 02-774-4783

We have no experience with these folks, just happen to have an old catalog.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (in boxes) (Trevor ?)(almost out of the trailer)
Judson Supercharger (in boxes)