Re: A little help...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A little help...
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 02:00:58 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/30/99 1:44:26 PM, Lancer7676@aol.com writes:

<< << So I am guessing that one is
 equal to the coil wire that comes off of it, and goes around clockwise. Then
 I am guessing that cylinder 1 is the back of the engine and moves forward.
 Please let me know if I am correct or need to change.>>

Eric:  Cylinder 1 is the very first cylinder at the front of the engine.  You
can find the distributor wire for cylinder 1 by putting a long dowel into the
spark plug hole for cylinder 1 and turning the engine over until the dowel
rises as far up as it will go.   That is TDC (top dead center) for cylinder

This will tell you that the cylinder is at the top of its stroke but it could
be the exhaust stroke.  In which case you will be 180 degrees out.  If you
remove the valve cover and watch for the intake valve, first valve closes to
the radiator, to close on cyl #1, then the dowel at its up most position you
will be in the right place.  Of course you can watch the intake valve and
then use Mike's suggestion about setting the timing mark and be a bit closer
to having it fire off.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (in boxes) (Trevor ?)(almost out of the trailer)
Judson Supercharger (in boxes)