Re: Distributor / timing question

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Distributor / timing question
From: "Andy Webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 01:00:04 GMT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
charles,
my vac. points right at #3 spark plug.
One way to set it up is to:
take off the rocker cover,
turn the engine until the timing mark is at the TDC pointer, and both valves
for #1 cylinder are closed.
You can now arrange the distributor so that when the drive dog meshes, the
rotor will be at the terminal for #1 plug.
[I'm pretty sure that some dizzy's were configured 180' opposite from others
but unless this is a replacement, you should be fine. Even then all you'd
have to do is change the leads(swap 1&4,swap 2&3)]
You should now be able to fire it up and fine tune things.
Andy
If you don't have a timing mark then you can remove #1 plug and put a long
pencil or similar in there to indicate when the piston is at the top of its
stroke.