Re: Speedo calibration question

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Speedo calibration question
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 19:00:08 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank,
Found this in the archives.  When you were here, I
thought I told you I did the math once...  Not sure if
the speedo in question was what you got in the A40?

> From: Ron Soave <>
> To: Paul A Asgeirsson <>
> Cc: spridgeteers <>
> Subject: Re: Finally
> Date: Monday, October 19, 1998 11:29 PM
>
> Now I see the why Nisonger told me to roll it 52'
9"!  I thought he was
> just a bit odd.  For those of us who are "drive way
challenged" or who
live
> on busy streets, based on Paul's method, for the 52'
9" part you could
> also:
>
> 1) calculate (or better yet, measure) circumference
of your wheel / tire in inches,
> 2) Roll the car one tire rev;  measure how many
cable revs per tire rev,
> 3) divide 633 (52' 9" expressed in inches) by the
circumference you measured, and
> 4) multiply that number by the number of cable revs
measured in step 2

> Definitely less precise than Paul's method since you
are estimating the
> number of cable revs and then introducing error by
multiplying by 633/circumference,
> plus you will keep your neighbors guessing with
measuring and pushing the

--- Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com> wrote:
> Do any of you listers know the correct number of
> feet to roll a car for
> the speedo calibration results to send Nisonger?
> This past summer while attending a wedding for a
> friends daughter, I was
> seated next to the Nisonger rep (small world) He did
> explain how to roll
> the car 54 feet, ???inches and count the tire
> revolutions. This I can do
> but I forgot the numer of inches.
> I have to send out the speedo on the A40 since it
> reads 70+ mph when
> it's only going about 30. The speedo has been
> "funky" the last few
> months according to my daughter but I recently
> replaced the speedo cable
> (thanks Peter) and tested it only to see it is stuck
> at 35 MPH when
> stopped and goes up from ther as soon as you start
> rolling. But it pins
> out at 80 on the hiway ;)
> With Toyota 5 speed, a Sprite 3.9 rear and bigger
> tires, I just want to
> have a speedo rebuilt to what I have.
>
> TIA
> --
>  Frank
>  Drive it or give it to somebody that will
>  http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/

=====
Ron Soave
"A Fool and His Money Can Throw One Hell of a Party"
1960 Bugeye
1972 BGT