Re: DMV Non-Op

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@htcomp.net>, Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: DMV Non-Op
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 18:03:43 -0800
Cc: BILL <billh@aaai.com>, "'Spridgets'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Brad,

Hey, I'm happy to pay the 10 bucks... back on 1995-96 when I first decided
to finish my original Bugeye and get it back on the road, I was initially
dealt a crushing blow by the DMV. The last time it had been registered was
in 1980. My first inquiry to a DMV employee was met with the reply that I
would have to pay the registration fees for every year since 1980, plus
penalty fees for late registration. What do you figure 16 years of back
payment to the DMV would cost!?!... certainly more than the car is worth,
well a few thousand dollars anyway. Turns out this was only true for smog
required vehicles, but man was this ever discouraging to hear!! If it
_were_ true, I would have used it for a parts car (that ultimately was it's
fate anyway). Compared to that... take my ten dollars... please!

Did you hear about the $300 out-of-state registration fee that the State
detemined was illegal to collect? The DMV has to refund $300 to everyone
that paid this fee. I'm not sure how far back this goes, but I did bring in
two cars in the 70's. There's a 3 page form to fill out... that one has got
to be a mess. I'm sure thay still don't know what to do.

Gerard

At 7:36 PM -0600 11/15/99, Brad Fornal wrote:
>Man, am I SOOOOO Glad that I don't live in CA. I have never even heard of a
>non-op fee until this ............thread........sorry Jay ;-)     Brad
>
>Gerard Chateauvieux wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>>
>> I have two non-ops, both were one time $10 fee (used to be $5) and I
>> receive renewal slips every year by mail. No charge until you register.
>> I've heard they will stop sending them after about 4 or 5 years. When I
>> went for a new title for the MKIV, they tried to make me pay $100+ in
>> resigtration and title fees even after I showed them photos of the body
>> shell stripped of paint and all running gear! After insisting several times
>> that all I wanted was a title, and giving them a statement of fact, they
>> finally relinquished their desire to collect all the fees and just charged
>> me the $10 for the title and $10 for the non-op. The key is to know exactly
>> what's required by the DMV (the people at the branch usually don't). I've
>> never received the same answer twice from DMV employees... if you can find
>> one that will help, either try a different branch or ask for a supervisor.
>>
>> Gerard
>>
>> At 8:37 AM -0800 11/15/99, BILL wrote:
>> >Does anyone have experience with registering their LBC on a "Non-Op" in
>> >California? I'm finally conceding that HRBYTOY won't be running in the
>> >near future and I don't want give the state more money than I have to.
>> >
>> >My question is , what happens when you re-register? Do you have to get a
>> >safety check, etc? Just want to know what I'm in for when I do this.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Bill Hunt
>> >64 MKII - HRBYTOY

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A